Matt Kitchens focuses his practice on general civil litigation, including significant personal injuries, eminent domain defense, and land use litigation. He also has extensive experience in criminal defense cases and federal and state appeals. Originally from Mississippi, Matt received his undergraduate degree from the University of Southern Mississippi in 1995, and his Juris Doctorate degree, with distinction, from the Mississippi College School of Law in 2002. He served as a law clerk at the Mississippi Supreme Court, then practiced in his family firm until relocating to Asheville in 2019. He is licensed to practice law in all courts in Mississippi and North Carolina, and has tried cases and handled appeals throughout both states.
Education & Affiliations
- Martindale-Hubbell AV rating
- Recognized as one of Mississippi’s leading attorneys by the Mississippi Business Journal
- Beyond the Call Award, Mississippi Association for Justice
- Mississippi College School of Law
- Cum laude, 2002
- University of Southern Mississippi (English and Criminal Justice)
- North Carolina State Bar
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Buncombe County Bar Association
- Mississippi State Bar
- North Carolina Advocates for Justice
- Mississippi Association for Justice
- American Association for Justice
Matt is an avid outdoorsman. When he’s not working, he enjoys hiking, fishing, boating, and otherwise exploring Western North Carolina with his wife Casey and their three children.