Jonathan Dunlap handles complex litigation matters in a variety of areas including healthcare, patent, construction, and land use litigation. Jonathan is also experienced in representing medical practitioners before their various licensing boards. He has first chair experience representing clients in administrative trials, medical board investigations, and motions practice before the various state and federal courts of North and South Carolina.
Originally from Florence, South Carolina, Jonathan began his practice in a leading Charleston, South Carolina defense firm. He then gained national experience handling tort and employment practices claims in over 15 different jurisdictions as an in-house attorney for United Educators insurance company. Just prior to joining the Van Winkle Law Firm, Jonathan practiced at a nationally recognized medical malpractice defense firm in Raleigh, N.C.
Practice Highlights and Representative Cases
- Estate of Baldwin v. RHA Health Servs., Inc., 782 S.E.2d 554, 556 (N.C. Ct. App. 2016). Successfully argued that laypersons providing treatment “at the direction” of a nurse should be considered “health care providers” for purposes of the medical malpractice statute.
- Stanley Paccione v. Affinity Insurance Services, Inc., et al., No. 1:15-CV-1055-CCE-JLW (M.D.N.C. Feb. 2, 2016). Motion to Dismiss granted on behalf of professional association on insurance coverage issues.
- Manion v. Nitelines Kuhana JV LLC, No. 7:12-CV-247-BO, 2014 WL 1800318 (E.D.N.C. May 6, 2014). Summary judgment granted in federal whistleblower action based on argument that the defendant’s conduct was not actionable under the statute.
- University of South Carolina School of Law - Juris Doctor, 2006
- Keyon College, Bachelor’s Degree in Philosophy and Modern Foreign Languages, 1999
- North Carolina State Bar
- North Carolina Bar Association
- South Carolina State Bar
- District of Columbia Bar
- 28th Judicial Bar District
- Defense Research Institute
Awards and Honors
- USC School of Law Moot Court Bar, Chief Justice
- Robert T. Bockman Award (USC Moot Court Bar Award), Recipient
- Southeastern Environmental Law Journal, Staff Editor
Prior to practicing law, Jonathan lived, studied, and worked in Europe for over three years between France, Denmark, and Germany. His pre-law career highlight was his job at a Danish submarine startup company, where he groomed his interest in technology and his taste for pickled mustard herring.
Jonathan’s ties to the area come from his time spent in Montreat, N.C., where he spent his childhood summers and grew to love the regional outdoors, music, and personalities. During these years, Jonathan also met his wife, Katie, who is now a Child and Adolescent Psychiatrist for an area community health service.
In his free time, Jonathan is learning the lost art of vacuum tube electronics and attempting to revive his hobby of playing music.