Serving North Carolina Since 1907
The Van Winkle Law Firm has an established and growing practice enforcing and defending patents, trademarks, and copyrights for its clients. As intellectual property litigation continues to increase, our practice has grown to meet the needs of its clients in this field. In addition, our firm works closely with several of the nation’s leading patent litigation firms when their clients require representation in North Carolina.
Patent & Trademark Infringement Litigation
The intellectual property attorneys at The Van Winkle Law Firm have successfully and efficiently litigated cases involving trademarks and copyrights. We routinely deal with issues of trademark counterfeiting, trademark infringement, unfair competition, patent infringement, and copyright infringement. We also aid clients with trademark and copyright protection and registration matters, including representation in proceedings before the United States Patent and Trademark Office.
The Van Winkle Law Firm attorneys hold decades of combined experience in patent and trademark infringement and intellectual property litigation as well as antitrust matters.
- The American Angus Association v. Sysco Corp. (WDNC), Trademark infringement. Successfully represented the American Angus Association in asserting its trademark regarding the Certified Angus Beef trademark
- BorgWarner, Inc. and BorgWarner Turbosystems, Inc. v. Honeywell International, Inc. (WDNC), Patent infringement of automotive turbochargers. Representing BorgWarner in asserting three of its patents regarding the design and manufacture of turbocharger components
- BorgWarner, Inc. and BorgWarner Turbosystems, Inc., v. Cummins, Inc. and Cummins Turbo Technologies Ltd. (WDNC), Patent infringement of automotive turbochargers. Representing BorgWarner in asserting three of its patents regarding the design and manufacture of turbocharger components
- Sandvik Intellectual Property AB v. Kennemetal, Inc. (WDNC), Patent infringement of metal oxide tools. Representing Sandvik in asserting three of its patents regarding the manufacture of oxide coated cuttings tools
- High Voltage Beverages, LLC v. Coca-Cola Comp. (WDNC), Trademark and trade name litigation. Successfully defended Coca-Cola with Shook, Hardy & Bacon
- SuperGuide Corp. v. Directv Enterprises, Inc., Directv, Inc., Directv Operations, Inc., Hughes Electronics Corp., Thomson Consumer Electronics, Inc., Echostar Communications Corp., Echostar Satellite Corp., and Echostar Technologies Corp. (WDNC), Patent litigation of satellite receivers. Defending EchoStar from claims of patent infringement related to satellite receivers
- Shurtape Technologies, LLC and Shurtech Brands, LLC v. 3M Comp. (WDNC), Patent litigation of painter’s tape. Defending 3M Corp. from claims of patent infringement related to painter’s tape
- Allergan, Inc. and Duke University v. Apotex, Inc., Apotex Corp., Sandoz, Inc., Hi-Tech Pharmacal Comp., Inc., Watson Pharmaceuticals, Inc., Watson Laboratories, Inc. and Watson Pharma, Inc., et al. (MDNC) (Consolidated cases) Represented plaintiffs in these Hatch-Waxman cases concerning the infringement of two patents owned and/or licensed by plaintiffs. The Van Winkle Law Firm attorneys, working with Fish and Richardson, P.C. and Gibson, Dunn and Crutcher, obtained a declaratory judgment for the plaintiffs that the patents are valid and will be infringed by proposed generic drugs. Other related cases are pending