David Wilkerson is a principal with The Van Winkle Law Firm, where he focuses his practice on business litigation. He applies legal skills and experience to assert and defend against patent, trademark, and copyright infringement claims on behalf of some of the most well-recognized and respected businesses in manufacturing, software, and other technology fields. In addition, he has worked on a broad range of antitrust issues in federal and state courts throughout the country and regularly litigates complex business disputes, including trade secret litigation.
Previously, Wilkerson was a business litigator with a firm in South Carolina. In 2011, his peers elected him to serve on the Council of the Antitrust and Complex Business Disputes Section of the North Carolina Bar Association, for which he currently chairs the Pro Bono Committee.
David was recently selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in North Carolina 2015 in the field of patent litigation.
Awards & Honors
- The Best Lawyers in America® 2020, Asheville Area –
- Commercial Litigation
- Litigation – Patent
- Mass Tort Litigation / Class Actions – Plaintiffs
- University of South Carolina, Juris Doctor, 1998
- University of Iowa, Master’s Degree, 1994
- Furman University, Bachelor’s Degree, 1993
- Lakeview Park Commission
- North Asheville Little League
- Buncombe County Bar
- Federal Bar Association, Western District of North Carolina
- North Carolina Bar Association, Council Member, Antitrust Section
- North Carolina State Bar
- South Carolina State Bar
A native of Montgomery, Ala., David made Asheville, N.C., his home in 2006. His wife, Kristen, has a Ph.D. from the University of Texas and works in academics in the field of marketing and advertising. They have a daughter and twin boys. In his spare time, David enjoys skiing, his kid’s sports, and enjoying live music in Asheville.
- Favorite Music: Anything playing locally
- Favorite Place to Visit: Quebec
- Guilty Pleasure: College football on Saturdays