Serving North Carolina Since 1907
The Van Winkle Law Firm has decades of experience helping property owners, architects, engineers, construction managers, contractors, subcontractors and suppliers to manage all legal transactions involved in the construction process. This practical experience, coupled with our solutions-focused philosophy, adds real value to resolving the issues and challenges our clients confront on a daily basis. When disputes arise, we apply sound mediation, arbitration and litigation strategies to address and settle issues, either privately, between the parties, or via vigorous representation in state and federal courts.
As a testament to our strengths in the construction industry, we have successfully defended clients against claims of professional negligence, represented contractors in lawsuits against public entities, such as the North Carolina Department of Transportation, and negotiated significantly reduced settlements in multi-million-dollar litigation. These matters have run the gamut from single family dwellings to large billion-dollar infrastructure projects.
Another dimension to the Van Winkle construction practice is their role as lead incident investigator. Stephen Williamson is a certified TapRooT® investigator. He has been retained to lead investigations into:
- Hazardous chemical spills and watershed contamination incidents;
- Plant explosions and multi-fatality events;
- Workplace and construction site fatalities;
- State and Federal environmental investigations; and
- Harassment, immigration and other worksite issues.
Areas of Focus
- Transactional Matters including:
- Development and Negotiation of Construction and Design Agreements;
- Development and Negotiation of Subcontractor and Sub-Consultant Agreements;
- Entity Formation;
- Professional Licensure;
- Project Procurement, Insurance and Bonding;
- Project Planning, Zoning and Permitting; and
- Risk Management.
- Disputed Matters including:
- Federal, State and Local Notices of Violation (NOV);
- Administrative Claims Before the NCDOT; and
- Litigation in State and Federal Court.
Mediation, Arbitration and Litigation of Construction Claims involving:
- Construction and Design Defects
- Contracts Breaches
- Delay Claims
- Insurance Claims
- Intellectual Property
- Licensing Board Inquiries, Investigations and Complaints
- Lien and Bond Suits
- Mechanical Liens and Bonds
- Mold and Water Damages
- Personal Injury
- State Department of Transportation
- Association of General Contractors
- Construction Professional Network
- Construction Section of the North Carolina Bar Association
- Construction Section of the American Bar Association