Esther Manheimer is a principal with The Van Winkle Law Firm who also serves as the current mayor of Asheville, N.C. Since joining the firm in 2002, she has focused her practice on commercial litigation, specifically in the areas of creditors’ rights and land disputes stemming from encroachments, easements, boundary lines, erosion and title matters. In addition, she provides skilled legal counsel to help homeowners’ and property owners’ association boards enforce restrictions, collect delinquent assessments, and draft and redraft covenants and by-laws.
Previously, Manhiemer was a lawyer with for the North Carolina General Assembly, where she served as counsel to various legislative committees. She also served on special legislative committees concerned with utility deregulation and legislative redistricting.
- 28th Judicial District Bar
- Harry C. Martin American Inns of Court
- North Carolina State Bar
- North Carolina Bar Association
Awards and Honors
- 2015, General Federation of Women’s Clubs of NC, 14th Annual “Women of Achievement Award”
- 2014, NC Lawyers Weekly, “Leaders in the Law” recipient
- 2012, Pisgah Legal Services, “Most Valuable Mountain Area Volunteer Lawyer”
- 2009, YWCA of Asheville, “Tribute to Women of Influence (TWIN) Awards” honoree
- 2007, North Carolina Bar Association, “William Thorp Pro Bono Service Award” nominee
Esther and her husband, Mark, have three children: Levi, Greyson, and Asa. In her spare time, Esther enjoys spending time with friends and family, including attending Tabata classes at the YMCA with her sister.
Favorite Food: Huevos Rancheros from Over Easy
Favorite Artists: Her mother, Caroline Manheimer, and sister, Kora Manheimer
Favorite Music: Bluegrass
Favorite Book: “Manchild in the Promised Land” by Claude Brown
Guilty Pleasure: Quiet time
- Asheville, N.C., Mayor
- Asheville City Council, Former Vice Mayor
- Asheville Regional Airport Authority, past board member
- City of Asheville Board of Adjustment, past board member
- Jewish Community Center, Former President
- Metropolitan Sewerage District, current board member