Carolyn Lloyd Coward is a principal with The Van Winkle Law Firm, where
she focuses her practice on health care and labor and employment law.
Combining her depth of health care industry knowledge with keen legal
insight, she helps to ensure physicians, hospitals, long-term care facilities
and other health-care entities comply with federal and state regulations,
including HIPAA, fraud and abuse statutes and the Stark Law regarding
physician self-referrals. In addition, she counsels health care providers
and medical centers to structure business ventures and negotiate and develop
employment and shareholder agreements in compliance with government and
Medicare/Medicaid reimbursement regulations.
Throughout her career, Coward has represented health care providers in
licensing and peer-review matters, reimbursement appeals and business
disputes. She is a frequent speaker before legal and health care industry
organizations as well as private businesses in North Carolina.
Her professional highlights have included unwinding three major medical
practices and successfully negotiating terms without litigation, alternative
dispute resolution nor interruption of practice business; representing
a physician practice in a reimbursement issue with Medicare, in which
the practice was allowed to retain $100,000 in contested fees; and successfully
defending a local hospital in U.S. District Court in a multi-million dollar
claim commenced by a surgeon seeking reinstatement of medical privileges.
- 28th Judicial District Bar
- American Health Lawyers Association
- North Carolina State Bar
- North Carolina Bar Association
Awards and Honors
- Business North Carolina Legal Elite
- Unwound three major medical practices and successfully negotiated terms
without litigation or alternative dispute resolution and no interruption
of practice business.
- Represented a physician practice in a reimbursement issue with Medicare
in which the practice was allowed to retain $100,000 in contested fees.
- Regularly represents providers in Medicare appeals and recently successfully
argued an appeal before the ALJ that allowed the provider to recoup over $100,000.
- Successfully structured business ventures between hospitals and physicians
in compliance with fraud and abuse, physician self-referral and tax-exempt laws.
- Successfully defended a local hospital in U.S. District Court in a multi-million
dollar claim commenced by a surgeon as a result of his medical privileges
being summarily suspended at the recommendation of the hospital’s
medical staff. The action asserted claims for deprivation of due process,
freedom of speech, breach of contract, slander and contract interference.
- Panelist, “Health Care Risk, What you better know!,” The Risk
Management Association, 2013
- Speaker, “Physician Alignment – a New Era” and “Physician
Compensation – The Nuts and Bolts,” NCACPA Healthcare Industry
Conference, Greensboro, N.C., 2013
- Speaker, “Cutting Through the Confusion: Health Care Reform &
The Impact on Your Business,” BB&T Spring Benefits Seminar, 2013
- Panelist, Henderson County Partnership for Economic Development –
2013 Industrial Executive Forum, 2013
- Speaker, “Front Page News in Agriculture: E-Verify, Health Care Reform,
EEOC,” Various Business Employers, 2013
- Speaker, “Affordable Care Act 1.0: Tax & Health Care Benefits
For Employers,” Various Business Employers, 2013
- Speaker, “New Omnibus HIPAA Privacy & Security Rule,” Western
Carolina Medical Society, 2013
- Speaker, “Post Election Results: The Future of Health Care Reform,”
UNC School of Law Festival of Legal Learning, Chapel Hill, N.C., 2013
- Speaker, “2013 Employers Survival Guide: Health Care, Indp. Contractors,
E-Verify, Guns at Work,” Henderson County Chamber of Commerce, 2013
- Speaker, “Post-election Impact on the Local Healthcare Community,”
Western Carolina Medical Society, 2012
- Speaker, “Legal” Wellness Programs: The Challenges and Rewards….Financial
Health,” ALA Financial Management Conference, Chicago, IL 2012
- Speaker, “Develop Your Firm’s Wellness Program (Stay Healthy,
Stay Happy),” ALA 2012 Annual Conference & Exposition, Honolulu,
A native of Robbinsville, N.C., Carolyn is married to a fellow lawyer,
Orville D. Coward, Jr.
Favorite Food: Mexican
Favorite Artists: Local artists, including Craig Forrest, Roger Stephens
Favorite Music: Bob Dylan
Favorite Book/Author: Any book by Dostoevsky or Tolstoy
Favorite Movie: Any movie by the Coen brothers
Favorite Place to Visit: London
Guilty Pleasures: Designing and furnishing interior spaces
- Asheville Area Chamber of Commerce, Public Policy Vice Chairperson
- Crescent Health Solutions, Chairperson
- Smoky Mountain Center, Board of Directors
- University of North Carolina Law Alumni Association, Board of Directors
- Western Carolina Medical Society, Development Council