Ryan Coffield is practice group leader of The Van Winkle Law Firm’s Business Practice, where he works with small and mid-size businesses on all phases of corporate life, including entity choice, formation, ongoing operations, reorganizations and owner transition strategies. Coffield’s experience in the areas of corporate and non-profit taxation allows him to provide a valuable, unique perspective on his clients’ legal issues.
- Washington University in St. Louis School of Law, Juris Doctor and Masters of Law in Taxation
- University of North Carolina, Bachelor’s Degree in Economics
- 28th Judicial District Bar
- American Bar Association
- North Carolina Bar Association, Membership Committee Co-chair
- North Carolina State Bar
- South Carolina State Bar
Awards and Recognition
- Biltmore Beacon “40 Under Forty,” Class of 2014
- North Carolina Bar Association, Co-Chairperson and Planner “2014 Basics of Business Law”
- North Carolina Bar Association, Co-Chairperson and Planner "2017 CBA Business Law Section and International Law Section Annual Meeting"
- Business North Carolina Magazine, 2017 Legal Elite
- 2016 Tax Law Update, NC Bar Association Business Law Institute (Feb 2016)
- Unemployment Tax: Duke Certificate in Nonprofit Management Program, Employment Course (2015)
- Keeping It Legal: The In and Outs of Non-Profit Law – The Western North Carolina Association of Fundraising Professionals, Philanthropy Institute (2014)
- Nonprofit Organizations: An Introduction for New Practitioners – The NCBA Basics of Business Law CLE (2014)
A North Carolina native, Ryan grew up in southeast Charlotte and lived in the Triangle for several years before making Asheville his home. Ryan is married to Jessica Coffield, with whom he has a lanky dog named Charlie. In his free time, Ryan enjoys playing Ultimate Frisbee, bouldering, pulling for the Charlotte Hornets and running.
- Favorite Food: Anything from Calabash, NC
- Favorite Book: “The Brothers Karamazov” and “The Undisputed Guide to Pro Basketball History”