Allan Tarleton is a principal with The Van Winkle Law Firm where he concentrates his practice in civil litigation in North Carolina’s superior courts and federal courts, workers’ compensation litigation before the North Carolina Industrial Commission, and appeals before the state’s appellate courts.
Throughout his professional career, Tarleton has represented hospitals and other health care providers, individuals, and businesses both small and large. He has defended health care providers successfully against claims of medical negligence, recovered significant verdicts and judgments in business cases and, has proven to be an effective negotiator before trial and, in many cases, before suit is even filed.
Prior to joining the firm in 1982, Tarleton had the privilege to practice with legendary trial lawyer Herbert L. Hyde. Before earning his law degree, he was a staff writer and city editor for the Pulitzer Prize-winning North Carolina publication, Washington Daily News.
- 28th Judicial District Bar
- American Bar Association
- American Society for Healthcare Risk Management, North Carolina Chapter
- Harry C. Martin American Inns of Court
- North Carolina Association of Defense Attorneys
- North Carolina Bar Association
- North Carolina State Bar
Awards and Honors
- AV Peer-Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Best Lawyers in America
- North Carolina Super Lawyers
Learn More About Allan R. Tarleton
- Successfully defended hospital from medical negligence claim arising from post-operative procedures.
- Successfully defended hospital employer from workers’ compensation claim alleging recurrent shoulder injury.
- Negotiated $700,000 recovery for workers’ compensation claimant against two insurance carriers, each of whom denied coverage of the claim.
- Negotiated significant settlement on behalf of low-income tenant injured when she stepped through the floor of her rented mobile home.
- Recovered largest verdict then in Swain County history on behalf of owners of a furnished cabin destroyed by fire. Verdict later sustained on appeal.
- Successfully defended self-insured manufacturer against workers’ compensation claim alleging permanent brain injury.
- Recovered a $5 million federal judgment in a satellite TV pirate case.
Allan is married to Donna, a middle school librarian. Their son, Penn, is an engineering student. A Cross Fit devotee and sometimes triathlete, he trains regularly throughout the year and commutes to the office by bike as often as he can.
Favorite Foods: Anything cooked at home and made from scratch
Favorite Place to Visit: Harbour Island, The Bahamas
Guilty Pleasure: Martini, gin, on the rocks, with a twist
- Asheville Buncombe Historic Resources Commission
- Biltmore Forest Country Club
- Carolina Day School, Former Board of Trustee Member
- The Mediation Center, Former President
- Pen & Plate Club
- Pisgah Legal Services, Former President
- Rhododendron Royal Brigade of Guards
- United Way of Asheville Buncombe County, Chair, Legal Division Campaign
- YMCA of Western North Carolina