The Van Winkle Law Firm announced today that 22 of its attorneys have been named to The Best Lawyers in America® 2022, the oldest and most respected peer-review publication in the legal profession, which has become universally regarded as the definitive guide to legal excellence. Attorneys within the firm have been recognized for inclusion in this list for over 25 years.
In addition, four Van Winkle attorneys hold the "Lawyer of the Year" for the Asheville Metro area: Stephen J. Grabenstein for Litigation — Trusts and Estates, Esther E. Manheimer for Litigation — Real Estate, Mark A. Pinkston for Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law, and Lindsay Parris Thompson for Corporate Law. Only a single attorney for each specialty and location can be selected to that honor.
The firm also has an attorney honored in the "Ones to Watch" category. These awards are recognitions given to attorneys who are earlier in their careers for outstanding professional excellence in private practice in the United States. Lucas A. Moomaw earned the distinction this year for Elder Law, and Trusts & Estates.
The complete list includes the following honorees:
- Larry S. McDevitt: Antitrust Law, Commercial Litigation, Litigation — Patent, Medical Malpractice Law — Defendants, Medical Malpractice Law — Plaintiffs, Personal Injury Litigation — Plaintiffs
- Esther E. Manheimer: Appellate Practice, Litigation — Land Use and Zoning, Litigation — Real Estate
- Mark A. Pinkston: Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law, Litigation — Bankruptcy, Mortgage Banking Foreclosure Law
- Kristen Rigsby Smith: Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law
- Albert L. Sneed, Jr.: Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law, Commercial Litigation, Corporate Law
- Dale A. Curriden: Commercial Litigation, Medical Malpractice Law — Defendants, Personal Injury Litigation — Defendants, Professional Malpractice Law — Defendants
- Stephen J. Grabenstein: Commercial Litigation, Litigation — Trusts and Estates, Trusts and Estates
- David M. Wilkerson: Commercial Litigation, Litigation — Patent
- Brian Gulden: Construction Law, Land Use and Zoning Law, Litigation — Land Use and Zoning
- Carolyn L. Coward: Corporate Compliance Law, Health Care Law
- Ryan W. Coffield: Corporate Law, Mergers and Acquisitions Law
- Lindsay Parris Thompson: Corporate Law, Real Estate Law
- Heather W. Goldstein: Elder Law
- Brian T. Lawler: Elder Law
- Katherine E. Fisher: Family Law
- Craig D. Justus: Land Use and Zoning Law, Litigation — Land Use and Zoning
- Stephen B. Williamson: Litigation — Construction
- Jackson C. Bebber: Litigation — Land Use and Zoning
- Allan R. Tarleton: Medical Malpractice Law — Defendants, Personal Injury Litigation — Plaintiffs, Workers' Compensation Law — Employers
- John G. Kelso: Trusts and Estates
- John D. Veazey: Trusts and Estates
Since 1983 Best Lawyers® has recognized excellent legal talent throughout the United States, highlighting the top 5% of practicing attorneys organized by geographic region and practice area. Nominees are evaluated by their peers according to their professional excellence and must go through an authentication process to ensure they are currently practicing and in good standing. For more information about Best Lawyers® and to view the complete list, visit https://www.bestlawyers.com
"It is an extraordinary honor that 22 of our attorneys have been named 2022 Best Lawyers®, with 4 of those receiving the "Lawyer of the Year" distinction," said Steve Grabenstein, president of The Van Winkle Law Firm. "We are proud to have so many of our talented attorneys recognized by their peers for one of the legal profession's most notable listings."
For more than 100 years, the attorneys at The Van Winkle Law Firm have provided a premier level of strategic legal counsel and services to meet clients' personal, estate planning, commercial, business, and litigation needs. Van Winkle is the largest law firm headquartered in Asheville. With licensed attorneys serving clients in North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Tennessee and Virginia, the firm is one of the most respected in the region. For additional information, please visit www.vwlawfirm.com.