As a Principal in the Firm and Elder Law attorney, Brian assists clients in identifying resources and developing plans to enable them to live long, healthy, and active lives. Brian focuses his practice on elder law, estate planning and administration, incapacity planning and guardianships, and working with adults and children with disabilities. Using a variety of planning tools, Brian helps clients who might otherwise be disqualified from public assistance protect and preserve their assets to supplement care provided by Medicaid, Social Security, and the Veterans Administration.
Prior to embarking on his legal career, Brian was a social service professional for nearly a decade serving children, adults, and families throughout Western North Carolina. This experience serves him well in his current position and uniquely positions him to understand the wholistic needs of clients facing capacity limitations. In addition, Brian’s background lends well to successfully managing relationships within the public, private, and nonprofit sectors of service providers, and to ensure clients are aware of the myriad of community resources available to them.
Brian is licensed to practice in North Carolina and South Carolina.
Awards & Honors
- Campbell University Law Review, Symposium Editor
- Out of Sight, Out of Mind: Indefinite Confinement and the Unconstitutional Treatment of North Carolinians with Mental Retardation, 35 Campbell L. Rev. 189 (2013).
- Campbell University, Juris Doctor, 2013
- University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, Bachelor's Degree in Religious Studies, 2001
- National Association of Elder Law Attorneys (NAELA)
- Member, Buncombe County Aging Coordinating Consortium (ACC)
- Board of Directors, Council on Aging of Buncombe County
- Board of Trustees, Eliada Homes, Inc.
- Board of Directors, Friends of WNC Nature Center
- NC State Bar Association
- Elder & Special Needs Law Section
- Estate & Fiduciary Law Section
- SC State Bar
- American Bar Association
Brian grew up in Winchester, VA and Winston-Salem, NC as one of 6 children. He is married to Jean and has two daughters, Lucy and Frances. Brian is a previous player with, and proud supporter of, the Asheville Rugby Football Club and is his spare time enjoys playing golf, skiing, and spending time with his family.