James Baley is a trusts and estates and business lawyer with The Van Winkle Law Firm. He focuses his practice on estate and trust planning and administration as well as counseling businesses and their owners through a range of events, from formation to succession planning. Baley enjoys working with family businesses to achieve their business and personal goals, which are often intertwined.
Before joining the firm, Baley practiced for three years as a CPA in a large regional accounting firm, focusing primarily on tax planning and compliance for individuals and businesses.
- 28th Judicial District Bar, Former Treasurer
- American Bar Association
- Land of the Sky Estate Planning Council
- North Carolina Bar Association
- North Carolina State Bar
Awards and Honors
- The Order of the Coif
- Eagle Scout
- Asheville “40 Under Forty” Class of 2013
- Leadership Asheville (Graduate of Class 31)
- Beta Gamma Sigma
- National Tax Moot Court Competition, Best Individual Oralist
- University of Florida Levin College of Law, Pro Bono Certificate
James is a third-generation Asheville lawyer, following in the footsteps of his father and grandfather. He is delighted to be back home in the mountains, where he and his wife, Kit, grew up and are now raising their daughter. They enjoy spending time with their dog, mountain biking, backpacking, traveling and visiting with friends and family.
Favorite Meal: Grilled steak with green beans and mashed potatoes
Favorite Music: The Avett Brothers
Favorite Places: Interlaken, Barcelona, Whistler, Santorini, Miami
- Carolina Day School, Chairperson of the Advancement Committee
- Junior Achievement of Western North Carolina, Member of the Board
- Pisgah Legal Services, MAVL Volunteer Attorney