Craig Justus practices in the areas of environmental law, real estate and land-use litigation and planning. He actively represents clients in zoning and annexation matters throughout Western North Carolina and across the state. Justus also assists clients in homeowner association matters, including drafting, reviewing and enforcing restrictive covenant documents.
A frequent speaker, having presented before the North Carolina General Assembly, he has successfully represented clients challenging the North Carolina Department of Transportation and the Cities of Asheville and Brevard.
- 28th Judicial District Bar
- Georgia State Bar
- North Carolina Outdoor Advertising Association
- North Carolina State Bar
- North Carolina Bar Association, Environmental, Land Use and Real Property Sections
- Tennessee State Bar
Awards and Honors
- Best Lawyers in America
- North Carolina Super Lawyers
Learn More About Craig D. Justus
- Successfully challenged through N.C. Supreme Court against NCDOT for wrongfully denying a driveway permit to a developer and obtained $2.1 million settlement.
- Successfully defended timeshare associations in million-dollar claim regarding unpaid disputed assessments.
- Obtained $100,000 settlement for client property owner in homeowner association abuse case.
- Successfully prosecuted claim through N.C. Supreme Court against City of Brevard for wrongfully denying development approval for elderly housing project.
- Successfully challenged through the N.C. Supreme Court annexation of large industrial property by City of Asheville.
- Speaker – 2015 Zoning, Planning and Land Use Annual Section Meeting, “Smart Growth: Evolving the Legal System to Better Manage Developer vs. Government Disputes,” March, 27, 2015.
- Speaker – 2014 OAAA Legal Seminar, “The Impact of State Outdoor Control Statutes in State Condemnations and Local Regulations,” November 12, 2014.
- Speaker – N.C. General Assembly, Legislative Research Commission Meeting. “Exactions Under NC Law,” April 7, 2014.
- Speaker – N.C. Bar Association, Real Property Section Annual Meeting. “HOA/Condo Associations and Their Effect on Closings and Troubled and Non-troubled Development,” May 12, 2012
Craig is a native of Hendersonville, N.C. who relocated to Asheville, N.C. in 1991. His passions include reading, golf and spending time with his wife, Suzannah, daughter, Aidan, and son, James. He’s also a Civil War and movie buff…and he sings a mean Elvis.
Favorite Food: Fillet gorgonzola from Black Forest Restaurant
Favorite Artist: Bruce Springsteen
Favorite Music: 1980s rock
Favorite Book: “Lord of the Rings”
Favorite Movie: “It’s a Wonderful Life”
Guilty Pleasure: Eating good food