Caroline Knox is a principal with The Van Winkle Law Firm, where she centers her practice on estate planning and administration, elder law and guardianship. With an emphasis on special needs trusts and other planning tools for clients with disabilities and children with special needs, she routinely helps clients who would otherwise be disqualified from public assistance shelter and preserve assets for supplementing care provided by Medicaid and Social Security.
As one of only 13 lawyers in North Carolina to earn the designation of Certified Elder Law Attorney (CELA) by The National Elder Law Foundation, Knox advises clients on matters relating to guardianship, Medicaid and other public benefits planning. In addition, she often serves as trustee, guardian, executor and power of attorney when there are no suitable alternatives. In these situations, she advising clients how to best manage and preserve their assets to enable a spouse in a nursing home to qualify for benefits and a surviving spouse ultimately to pass an inheritance onto future generations.
- 29th Judicial District Bar
- National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys
- North Carolina Bar Association, Elder & Special Needs Law Section Membership Committee
- North Carolina Board of Legal Specialization, Board Certified in Elder Law
- North Carolina State Bar
Caroline lives in Hendersonville, N.C., with her three children, Eleanor, Turner, and Henry. She is an active runner, kick-boxer and participates, each year, in the Mad Mountain Mud Run to benefit Hands On! Caroline enjoys trail rides in the DuPont Forest, her kids’ sporting events, and other activities.
Favorite Food: Shrimp and grits
Favorite Book: “A Prayer for Owen Meany”
Favorite Place to Visit: Kiawah, South Carolina
Guilty Pleasures: Chocolate and People magazine
- Children and Family Resource Center, Former Secretary
- Henderson County Education Foundation, Former Board Member
- Hendersonville Council on Aging, Former Board Member
- Housing Assistance Corporation, Former Board Member
- Junior League of Asheville
- Junior Welfare Club of Hendersonville, Former President
- Kanuga Conferences, Board of Visitors and Endowment Board Member
- MemoryCare, Board Member
- Vocational Solutions of Hendersonville, Former Board Member