Anna Mills is the principal-in-charge in The Van Winkle Law Firm’s Charlotte, N.C. office. Her attention to detail and experience as a former in-house lawyer complement her legal skills counseling business clients.
A frequent speaker and panelist before business groups and legal associations, Mills helps clients through a comprehensive scope of corporate matters. Her counsel ranges from entity formation to profitable expansion to succession planning and all areas in between, including advisement on sales, mergers, strategic investments and private equity, including seed and venture rounds; financing and lending, and commercial real estate needs. In addition, Mills serves as North Carolina counsel in multi-state transactions, including provision of local counsel legal opinions.
- North Carolina Bar Association, Chair of the Business Section (2015-2017)
- American Bar Association: Legal Opinions Committee; Uniform Commercial Code Committee; Private Equity and Venture Capital Committee; and Middle Market and Small Business Committee
- Working Group on Legal Opinions Foundation (WGLO), Board of Directors
Awards and Honors
- 2015 Corporate Law Best Lawyers
- AV Preeminent™ Peer-Review Rated by Martindale Hubble
- YMCA “Tribute to Women of Influence (TWIN) Awards”, honoree
Learn More About Anna's Experience and Presentations
Business Law Practice
- Counsels business owners and management regarding expansion and transition, including sales, mergers, strategic investments and private equity.
- Advises companies and individuals purchasing a business, including documentation, incorporation or LLC formation and financing.
- Serves as North Carolina counsel in multi-state transactions, including provision of local counsel legal opinions.
- Represents companies, investors, and lenders in equity investments and lending transactions, including seed & venture rounds.
- Works with in-house counsel and business owners to efficiently manage company entities, contracts, and UCC filings.
- Assists business clients with commercial real estate needs.
Recent Presentations, Publications and Events
- “Legal Opinions Not In Delaware”, 2015 ABA LLC Institute, November 12, 2015, Washington, DC
- “What “Law” is Explicitly Excluded from Legal Opinions?”, 2015 Fall Legal Opinion Seminar, Working Group on Legal Opinions, October 27, 2015, New York, NY
- “Third-Party Legal Opinions in Corporate Transactions” Clear Law Institute Webinar, June 30, 2015.
- “Venture Capital Legal Opinions. Recent Developments,” ABA Business Law Section 2015 Spring Meeting, San Francisco, CA. April 16, 2015, Panelist.
- “Toward a Leaner and Cleaner Practice – A Professional Responsibility to Innovate”, North Carolina Bar Association, Cary, NC, December 5, 2014, Panelist
- “Legal Opinion Due Diligence,” ABA 2014 Institute for the Young Business Lawyer, Los Angeles, CA, April, 2014, Panelist
- “Legal Opinions: Key Provisions and New Developments,” North Carolina Bar Association, Business Section, 2014 Annual Meeting, Pinehurst, NC, February 20, 2014, Panelist
- “Venture Capital Financing Opinions: A Comparison of the California Approach,” ABA Business Law Section 2013 Annual Meeting, San Francisco, CA, August 11, 2013, Panelist
- “Managing Your Business Through Transition, Succession and Exit Strategies,” 2013 Industrial Executives Forum, Henderson County Partnership for Economic Development, Flat Rock, N.C., April 18, 2013, Panelist
- “Ask Anna: Legal Issues for Startup Businesses,” Asheville Startup Weekend, August 24, 2012, Speaker
Recent Reading: “The Art Forger: A Novel” and “The Goldfinch”
Favorite Artists: Édouard Manet, Jan Van Eyck, Alex Katz, and Cy Twombly
Guilty Pleasures: French fries, UNC basketball, and SEC football
- Community School of the Arts, Board Member
- Asheville Art Museum, Board of Advisors Member
- Charlotte Mothers of Multiples
- Food Allergy Research and Education (FARE)
- North Carolina Lawyers for Entrepreneurs Assistance Program (NC LEAP), Former Chair