Adam Shealy is a principal with The Van Winkle Law Firm, where he focuses his practice on trust and estate planning and administration and business and tax planning for the formation, acquisition, sale, transfer and succession of closely held businesses. Having earned board certification as an estate planning and probate law specialist and a license as a certified public accountant, he brings to each client engagement a practical perspective that complements his strong technical expertise.
A published author and frequent lecturer on legal topics, Shealy has extensive experience developing strategies to meet the unique needs of clients with large, sophisticated estates and complex family issues. His creativity and skill allows clients to protect and transfer their wealth to future generations while minimizing taxes and administrative expenses, delays and controversies. He is also a valuable resource to help families navigate through the maze of legal and tax requirements, family tensions and other issues that often occur upon death or incapacity.
Shealy also guides clients through legal, tax and other issues that accompany the creation, growth, purchase, sale or succession of their family businesses. This includes developing and carrying out succession plans that allow business owners to preserve and efficiently transfer their life’s work to the next generation.
- 28th District Judicial Bar
- 29th District Judicial Bar
- North Carolina Bar Association
- North Carolina State Bar
Awards and Honors
- AV Peer-Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Best Lawyers in America
- Board Certified Specialist in Estate Planning and Probate Law by the N.C. State Bar Board of Legal Specialization
- Certified Public Accountant, North Carolina and South Carolina
- North Carolina Super Lawyers
Learn More About Adam L. Shealy
- Designed and implemented individually tailored estate plans for numerous clients with large sophisticated estates and difficult family issues. These creative plans have allowed his clients to protect their hard earned wealth and to transfer that wealth to future generations with significantly reduced taxes and administrative expenses while still achieving the clients’ primary goals regarding the appropriate distribution of their assets.
- Assisted many surviving spouses and children in expeditiously navigating through the intricate process of administering the estate or trust of a deceased loved one including the identification of various areas where there are opportunities for tax savings.
- Successfully guided clients through the legal, tax and business complexities of creating, growing, purchasing and selling a family business and has devised and executed effective business succession plans to allow his clients to preserve and transfer their businesses to the next generation with a minimum of taxes and administrative expenses.
- Adam is a frequent lecturer at the North Carolina Bar Association and other continuing legal education programs and writes updates for The Will & The Way, a quarterly newsletter published by the North Carolina Bar Association’s Estate Planning and Fiduciary Law Section.
A resident of Hendersonville, N.C., Adam was born in Germany, where his father, a career officer in the U.S. army, was stationed. Today, he lives in Hendersonville, N.C., with his children and wife, Devon. In his free time, he enjoys traveling, mountain biking and hiking with his family on the many trails of Western North Carolina.
- Agribusiness Henderson County, Inc., Board Member
- Big Brothers/Big Sisters of WNC, Former Board Member
- Community Foundation of Henderson County, Audit Committee Member
- Four Seasons Hospice and Palliative Care, Former Chair of the Board of Directors
- Henderson County Partnership for Economic Development, Board Member and Former Chair of the Board of Directors
- Henderson County Young Leaders Program, Inc., Former Chair of the Board of Directors
- Hendersonville Symphony Orchestra, Former Board Member
- Pardee Hospital Foundation, Former President and Chair of the Board of Directors
- Pisgah Legal Services, Volunteer Lawyer