Albert Sneed is a principal with The Van Winkle Law Firm, where he counsels businesses on a range of issues and represents them in litigation in both federal and state courts. While he has built the foundation of his practice working with small companies, Sneed has also handled significant mergers, acquisitions and shareholder disputes on behalf of large companies in the manufacturing, engineering and mining industries. His breadth of experience extends to zoning and regulatory compliance matters and extensive representation of creditors and creditor committees in bankruptcy proceedings and foreclosures.
Among his career highlights, Sneed defeated an historic district rezoning and secured a $2.3 million jury verdict for flood damages enhanced by inadequate railroad culvert.
- Practice Successes
- $2.3 million jury verdict for flood damages enhanced by inadequate railroad culvert.
- Business Acquisitions and Sales
- Represented seller in sale of Stencel Aero Engineering (aircraft ejection seat manufacturer).
- Represented buyer in purchase of Lawson United Feldspar (Feldspar Mining Company).
- Represented seller in sale of Charles D. Owen Mfg. Co. stock to Springs Industries (blanket manufacturer).
- Zoning and Municipal Cases
- Unruh v. City of Asheville, 97 N.C. App. 810 (1990): defeated historic district rezoning.
- Morris Communication v. City of Asheville, 356 N.C. 103 (2002): defeated amortization of outdoor advertising signs.
- Donoho v. City of Asheville, 153 N.C. App. 110 (2002), cert. denied, 356 N.C. 669 (2003): environmental fines must be paid to school board.
- Thrash, Ltd. vs. Buncombe County, 673 S.E. 2d 814 (N.C. Ct. App 2009); county zoning ordinance held invalid.
- Duke University, Juris Doctor, 1973
- University of North Carolina, Bachelor’s Degree in Math, 1965
- 28th Judicial District Bar
- Asheville Area Chamber of Commerce, Former Board Member
- Buncombe County Land Conservation Board, Chairperson
- Council of Independent Business Owners, Founding Member and Former President
- Harry C. Martin American Inns of Court
- North Carolina State Bar
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Asheville-Buncombe VISION, Former Chairperson
- Christ School Board of Directors, Former President
Awards and Honors
- AV Peer-Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Best Lawyers in America
- Business North Carolina Legal Elite
- North Carolina Super Lawyer
Albert and his wife, Martha “Barrie” Sneed, have two sons, Lee and Paul, and two grandchildren. A native of Pinehurst, N.C., he has a passion for windsurfing, fishing and Upland bird hunting with his dog, Lily.