The Van Winkle Law Firm represents clients throughout Western North Carolina, including some of the region’s largest employers. Our clients include medical centers and government agencies as well as small family-owned businesses. Our team's expertise is recognized at the highest rating by Martindale-Hubble. Our firm has the only defense attorney in Western North Carolina certified in workers’ compensation by the North Carolina State Bar, as well as attorneys recognized by Business North Carolina's Legal Elite, in employment-related matters, and North Carolina Super Lawyers.
Types of Services
- Workers’ Compensation Defense and Prosecution
- OSHA, EEOC and DOL investigations
- Litigation in State and Federal Courts
- Third-Party Liability Litigation
- Policy Design and Implementation
- Negotiated $700,000 recovery for workers’ compensation claimant against two insurance companies, each of whom denied coverage of the claim.
- Successfully defended hospital employer in workers’ compensation claim alleging recurrent shoulder injury.
- Successfully defended manufacturer in workers’ compensation claim alleging permanently disabling brain injury with exposure for lifetime compensation.
- Following late appearance for apparently uninsured employer, obtained successful addition of insurance carrier to workers’ compensation claim and avoidance of personal liability to business owner for compensation award exceeding $200,000.
- Obtained summary judgment for employer in wage and hour claim by hotel employee seeking class certification that was affirmed on appeal clarifying new law in the state beneficial to all employers.
- Successfully negotiated resolution of several incidents of workplace violence without litigation or governmental involvement.
- Successfully resolved hundreds of Equal Employment Opportunity Commission charges with little, if any, payment required by our clients.