The Van Winkle Law Firm's Construction & Professional Design attorneys have accumulated years of combined experience handling all legal aspects of the construction industry. The practical experience and solution-oriented philosophy of our firm add real value to resolving the daily issues our clients face. Where disputes arise, our firm has extensive experience in mediation and litigation involving owners, architects, engineers, contruction managers, contractors, subcontractors and suppliers and have resolved hundreds of construction disputes. Our firm is experienced in mediation, arbitration and litigation of construction law matters in state and federal courts.
Types of Services
- Entity Formation
- Professional Licensure
- Project Procurement
- Project Planning, Zoning and Permitting
- Drafting and Negotiating Construction and Design Agreements
- Drafting and Negotiating Subcontractor and Subconsultant Agreements
- Project Insurance and Bonding
- Risk Management
- Mechanic’s Lien and Bond Claims
Mediating, Arbitrating and Litigating a Variety of Construction Claims including:
- Construction Defects
- Mold and Water Claims
- Design Defects
- Breach of Contracts
- Delay Claims
- Intellectual Property
- Personal Injury
- Lien and Bond Suits
- Licensing Board Inquiries, Investigations and Complaints
- State Department of Transportation Claims
- Insurance Disputes
- Represented highway contractor in $10 million lawsuit against the North Carolina Department of Transportation, recovering $5.2 million.
- Represented defendant contractor and surety in $4.5 million contract litigation initiated by subcontractor of a highway project. Case successfully resolved for small payment beyond retainage.
- Defended engineering firm against contractor’s claim for professional negligence for an excess of $900,000 in damages. Our firm obtained a directed verdict on behalf of engineer which was upheld by the North Carolina Court of Appeals.
- Represented a primary defendant in $28 million litigation arising out of the construction of a hotel. Successfully negotiated settlement of under $1 million through a multi-week mediation.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of project engineer in sinkhole and property damage case against owner’s claims in excess of $800,000.
- Association of General Contractors
- Construction Section of North Carolina Bar Association
- Construction Section of American Bar Association
- Construction Professional Network