Anna S. Mills
Anna’s attention to detail and experience as an in-house attorney makes her an ideal legal counsel for large and mid-size companies. In addition, her business law expertise enables her to assist start-ups and small businesses.
- Counsels business owners regarding exit strategies, including sales, strategic investments, and other transactions.
- Serves as North Carolina counsel in multi-state transactions.
- Represents companies, investors, and lenders in equity investment and lending transactions.
- Works with in-house counsel and business owners to efficiently manage company entities, contracts, and UCC filings.
- Advises individuals regarding franchises.
- Assists businesses with contracts, leases, corporate, regulatory, and other commercial matters.
RECENT PRESENTATIONS, PUBLICATIONS & EVENTS
- Upcoming: Panelist, "Legal Opinion Due Diligence," ABA 2014 Institute for the Young Business Lawyer, Los Angeles, CA, April, 2014
- Panelist, "Legal Opinions: Key Provisions and New Developments," North Carolina Bar Association, Business Section, 2014 Annual Meeting, Pinehurst, NC, February 20, 2014
- Panelist, "Venture Capital Financing Opinions: A Comparison of the California Approach," ABA Business Law Section 2013 Annual Meeting, San Francisco, CA, August 11, 2013
- Panelist, "Managing Your Business Through Transition, Succession and Exit Strategies," 2013 Industrial Executives Forum, Henderson County Partnership for Economic Development, Flat Rock, N.C., April 18, 2013
- Speaker, "Celebration of Women in Business," Western Carolina University, April 10, 2013
- Speaker, "Contracts 360°," Feed Your Mind Series, April 9, 2013.
- Chair & Moderator, “An Introduction to Venture Capital Legal Opinions," ABA Business Section Spring Meeting, Washington, D.C., April 6, 2013
- Speaker, "Ask Anna: Legal Issues for Startup Businesses," Asheville Startup Weekend, August 24, 2012
- Speaker, “Using Contracts in Your Art-Based Business,” Illuminated Artistry: A Workshop for Artists and Artisans Where Creativity and the Law Intersect, Asheville, N.C., August 2011
American Bar Association, Business Section
- Legal Opinions Committee: Director of Membership
- Private Equity and Venture Capital Committee
- Middle Market and Small Business Committee
- North Carolina State Bar
North Carolina Bar Association, Business Section
- Vice Chair, 2013 - 2015
- Legal Opinions Committee, 2009 – Present
- Co-Chair, Ethics Committee, 2007 – 2009
- Council Member, 2004 - 2007
- Tennessee State Bar
- 26th Judicial District Bar
- Charlotte Women Attorneys
RECOGNITIONS & COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT
- Tribute to Women of Influence (TWIN) Awards honoree presented by YWCA of Asheville, 2012
- NC LEAP (North Carolina Lawyers for Entrepreneurs Assistance Program), Chair, 2010 – 2011
- Asheville Art Museum, Board of Trustees, 2006 - 2013
Phone: (704) 650-0576
Fax: (704) 831-5336
University of North Carolina
J.D., cum laude
B.A. in History, with Distinction
Phi Beta Kappa
The Fly in the Cathedral: How a Group of Cambridge Scientists Won the International Race to Split the Atom by Brian Cathcart, Pictures of Nothing: Abstract Art since Pollock by Kirk Varnedoe
Édouard Manet, Jan Van Eyck, Alex Katz, Francesco Clemente, Cy Twombly, Rebecca Snoderly, Kora Manheimer
Most Recently Viewed Art Exhibits
Taking Shape, The Center for Craft, Creativity & Design, Asheville, NC; Cynthia Homire: Vision Quest, Black Mountain College Museum, Asheville, NC
Reading The Wall Street Journal, watching UNC basketball and SEC football