Dale Curriden is a principal and seasoned civil litigator with The Van
Winkle Law Firm who has successfully tried numerous lawsuits to verdict.
Since joining the firm in 1997, he has successfully defended physicians
and medical practices against claims of negligence and professional malpractice
and represented clients’ interests in matters concerning personal
injury, wrongful death, property damage, workplace accidents and insurance
- 28th Judicial District Bar, Pro Bono Committee, Past Chairperson
- American Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
- Harry C. Martin American Inns of Court
- North Carolina Association of Defense Attorneys
- North Carolina Bar Association
- North Carolina State Bar
Awards and Honors
- Best Lawyers in America
- North Carolina Super Lawyers
- Successfully defended an emergency room physician accused of negligence
after the death of a 19-year-old patient suffering from an asthma attack.
- Won a defense verdict in favor of a cardiothoracic surgeon accused of negligence
following a coronary artery bypass surgery. After admitting the bypass
graft was attached to the wrong vessel, the defense successfully argued
there was no negligence due to the plaintiff’s abnormal coronary anatomy.
- Won a defense verdict in favor of multiple physicians and an academic medical
center in a $24 million birth injury case.
- Won a defense verdict in favor of an OB/GYN surgeon accused of negligence
after a patient suffered bilateral ligation of her ureters during a hysterectomy.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of a local family practice physician
who allegedly failed to diagnose ovarian cancer.
- Won defense verdicts in multiple trials of chiropractors accused of negligence
and causing vertebral artery dissections and resulting strokes following
manipulation of the cervical spine.
- Won a defense verdict in favor of an internal medicine physician accused
of negligence after a patient died from a pain medication overdose.
A native of Everett, Wash., Dale spent his college summers working as a
commercial salmon fisherman in Alaska. He has also worked as a White House
intern and served as a missionary for two years in Peru becoming fluent
in Spanish. Along with his family, Dale enjoys spending time outdoors
snow and water skiing, boating, hiking and golfing.
Favorite Food: Anything Peruvian
Favorite Musician: Bruce Springsteen (the early years)
Favorite Book: “To Kill a Mockingbird” by Harper Lee
Favorite Movie: “All the President’s Men”
Guilty Pleasure: Chocolate-chip cookies
Boy Scouts of America, Daniel Boone Council, Troop 21:
- Current Troop Committee Member
- Former Fundraising Director
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints:
- Bishop, 2014- present
- Stake Presidency Counselor, 2005-2014
- Long Shoals Homeowners Association; Former President
- Pisgah Legal Services (Former Pro Bono Committee Chair)