Allan has championed the cases of hundreds of people, non-profit organizations,
and businesses, small and large since he came to Asheville and started
practice in 1980. He has obtained significant verdicts, judgments, and
arbitration awards in trials, hearings, and appeals in personal injury,
workers’ compensation, wrongful death, contract, and product liability
cases; he has successfully prosecuted claims arising under the North Carolina
and the United States Constitutions; and he has proven time and again
to be an effective negotiator before trial and, in many cases, before
suit is even filed.
Allan’s decades of experience analyzing insurance coverages, evidentiary
issues, questions of procedure, statutes, regulations, and case law have
often permitted his clients to realize favorable results in cases where
there appeared to be no acceptable outcome. And his demonstrated competence
as an effective and straightforward advocate has earned the respect of
clients, juries, witnesses, adversaries, colleagues, and judges.
Before joining Van Winkle in 1982, Allan practiced law with legendary trial
lawyer, politician, and raconteur Herbert Hyde. Allan was a staff writer
and city editor for the Pulitzer Prize-winning Washington Daily News in
Washington, NC before earning his law degree.
- 28th Judicial District Bar
- Harry C. Martin American Inns of Court
- North Carolina Bar Association
- North Carolina State Bar
Awards and Honors
- AV Peer-Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Best Lawyers in America
- North Carolina Super Lawyers
- Certified Information Privacy Professional / United States (CIPP/US)
- Negotiated $700,000+ recovery for workers’ compensation claimant
against two insurance carriers, each of which had denied coverage for
- Negotiated significant settlement on behalf of low-income tenant injured
when she stepped through the floor of her rented mobile home.
- Recovered largest verdict then in Swain County history on behalf of owners
of a furnished cabin destroyed by fire. Later sustained on appeal.
- Obtained summary judgment in constitutional claim against Department of
Transportation. Sustained on appeal.
- Obtained jury verdict totaling nearly 100 times the medical expenses in
personal injury suit on behalf of a young motorist. Sustained on appeal.
- Obtained $5 million judgment in federal satellite TV privacy case.